Monday, July 20, 2009

Trip to the Discovery Science Place


Avery and Daddy found a little nook in the cave to hide out in


Rocking the newborn babies

getting all the good stuff- cookies, oatmeal and ketchup!


Hosting the "Tyler Tonight" show
Finding "Nemo"

Last week Shaun and I took Avery to the Discovery Science Place in downtown Tyler. I wasn't sure if it would be very age appropriate for her, but we decided to go check it out anyway. We were not disappointed! It doesn't look very big on the outside, but when you walk in, it is this huge old warehouse that has been transformed into a hands-on discovery center, complete with a two-story ship, and a huge fake cave you can walk through. There were three sections- a color/light area, "Hometown USA", and then a discovery science area. Avery got to be a news anchor and cooking show host in the CBS news room (complete with cameras and a tv to watch yourself on), do her own shopping at Brookshires, care for babies in the hospital nursery, take care of animals at the vet, cook pizza in a cafe and so much more. They even had a real fire truck and ambulance to play in, as well as a real car at the mechanic shop. Everything that you would see in a real town, they had it set up for kids to experience. In the discovery area, there all sorts of science manipulatives to play with-magnets, legos, fossils, even an earthquake simulation inside the cave. Avery's favorite part was the grocery store. She kept putting her produce in the scale to weigh it- then would ring it up at the real cash register they had. It is too much to explain on here so I suggest you go check it out! It really makes for a fun day, especially since it is indoors and air-conditioned! Plus, the admission wasn't bad- $6 a person, Avery was free. For hours worth of entertainment for her, it was well worth it!



















2 comments:

  1. How fun!! I wanna go and play! LOL Im glad you thought of that place. What a perfect place to spend a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to take Dailee. I went when I was in Girl Scouts and had a wonderful time. Of course things have changed back then but I'm sure I will have just as much fun with Dailee as I did back then.

    It looks like you all had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete